About Our Program
Meet Our Program Director
“We are committed to providing a strong learning environment to train future leaders in Nephrology. We emphasize self-reflection and improvement at the trainee, educator, and program levels, and fellows are active participants in shaping the program to best meet their needs and goals.”
Why You'll Love Our Program
- Robust clinical experience: We manage a variety of patient acuities and pathologies that, even for rare diseases, is among the best in the country. Gain experience in multiple practice settings and subspecialty clinics in hypertension, transplant, and glomerular disease.
- Transplant experience: UW consistently ranks among the most active transplant programs in the country, with over 13,000 organs transplanted since 1966. You'll receive double the required transplant experience, with rotations in both inpatient and outpatient transplant.
- Procedures: Because UW is a high-volume procedure center, you'll place lines and do biopsies, and can gain experience in more advanced procedures with the interventional nephrology team.
- Advanced training: After successfully completing the general nephrology fellowship, you can pursue an additional year of training in interventional nephrology or transplant nephrology.
- Awards for time and funding: Thanks to the generosity of Dr. Richard Rieselbach, we offer up to $4,500 each year for academic/professional development, which may be split across multiple fellows. We also consider all proposals for additional elective time to pursue unique career goals.
Life in Madison
Please contact us with any questions about our program.