Achieve Your Dreams Here
Become the doctor you want to be at the University of Wisconsin Internal Medicine Residency Program. Here are 10 reasons why we are such a great place to learn, work and live.
1. Our welcoming, supportive learning environment.
Our residency program is rated well above national averages for climate, wellness and support. View wellness outcomes data (PDF).
In addition, our medical students rate UW faculty well above mean for emotional environment. View medical student data (PDF).
As a resident here, you'll enjoy wonderful camaraderie and a friendly rapport with faculty. You'll get great training AND have fun!
2. The wonderful city of Madison.
Madison, Wisconsin, offers all the best of a big city with none of the hassle. It's consistently ranked as a top 10 best place to live in the U.S.
3. A curriculum that prepares you for success.
We are leaders in cutting-edge curriculum development, and were one of 17 programs in the nation selected as an ACGME Education Innovation Project site.
Our residency graduates have a 100 percent Boards pass rate for the last three years, tying for the highest rate in the country.
4. Abundant research opportunities.
The UW Department of Medicine is consistently ranked among the top departments of internal medicine in the nation for National Institutes of Health funding. UW-Madison is also consistently ranked in the top 10 in the U.S. for volume of research.
5. Personalized academic and professional mentoring.
Our residents have unparalleled personal contact with engaged, experienced leaders. Each is assigned to a specific associate program director for three years of mentorship and guidance. With this support, residents routinely publish and present at regional and national meetings.
6. Did we mention Madison?
7. Individualized career planning.
To support your individual career interests, we offer a Primary Care Track; a Physician-Scientist program; and several Pathways, including Hospitalist and Subspecialty Pathways, the TEACH Pathway, Global Health Pathway and Health Equity Pathway.
Residents also have tremendous schedule flexibility. For example, you can have your second clinic in a subspecialty of your choice, allowing for early introduction to research mentors.
We also offer specific counseling on how to succeed in fellowship, including a mock interview program and individualized application review.
8. Rigorous clinical training.
Residents provide care to a very heterogeneous, diverse patient mix at three clinical sites:
- University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics, ranked the #1 hospital in Wisconsin by U.S. News & World Report;
- William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital, consistently rated among the top five in the nation for quality of care and patient satisfaction; and
- UnityPoint Health–Meriter, a highly-rated community hospital.
9. Outstanding fellowship and job placement.
Our graduates have great success at job and fellowship positions after graduation. For example:
- Our overall, long-term fellowship match rate is 97 percent, and over 75 percent of our graduates match into their top fellowship choice.
- Many graduates also go into primary care or hospital medicine in their first choice of community and practice.
10. As always, life in Madison!
With lakes everywhere you look, tons of running, biking and hiking trails, and the nation's largest farmer's market, it's no wonder Madison was rated #1 in the nation for work-life balance. Visit us and see why!