The University of Wisconsin Internal Medicine Residency uses ERAS for all applications. Please submit a personal statement, detailed prior work experience, prior accomplishments and interests, as well as all items requested in the ERAS application.
Completed applications are due by November 1.
- Categorical Internal Medicine: NRMP Program Code 1779140C0
- Primary Care Internal Medicine: NRMP Program Code 1779140M0
- Physician-Scientist Training Program: NRMP Program Code 1779140C1
Applicants applying for preliminary year positions in Ophthalmology, Radiation Oncology and Radiology will apply directly to those programs and not through Internal Medicine.
- Prelim Ophthalmology: NRMP Program Code 1779140P3
- Prelim Radiation Onc: NRMP Program Code 1779140P1
- Prelim Radiology: NRMP Program Code 1779140P2
Admission Criteria and Visa Requirements
- We holistically review all applicants to our program and do not utilize a USMLE cutoff score.
- All applicants must have passed USMLE I and II before beginning their residency training.
- All candidates must be U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or hold a J-1 visa. Unfortunately, we are not able to support H1 or other visa types.
For an overview of resident benefits and stipends, visit the Total Rewards and Employee Resources page on our institutional GME website.
Other benefits include:
- Competitive salaries (75th percentile of AAMC resident stipends) in a low cost-of-living state
- Family or individual medical insurance
- Outstanding disability policy with lifelong continuation option
- Professional liability insurance with a tail
- Three weeks of vacation, which may be taken as one-, two-, or three-week blocks; additional time for military training. For PG-2s and PG-3s, five days per year to attend conferences or interviews
- Flexible maternity and paternity leave policy, including six weeks of paid parental leave
- Reimbursements for DEA and initial license fees
- ACLS and CPR certification and re-certification
- Annual $500 education fund for learning resources, question bank subscriptions, or other learning aids
- Annual wellness stipend for food while on call, gym membership or other personal wellness activities
- Embroidered lab coats
- Free yearly citywide bus pass
- Free local boat rental for residents
- Employee Assistance Program (confidential service to help with financial, legal, or mental health concerns)
During the second year of training, residents apply to the State of Wisconsin Medical Examining Board for licensure. Once licensed, our residents may moonlight.
All interviews and events will be held virtually this year.
We participate as an “All In” program with the NRMP and are therefore prohibited from hiring outside of the match. Applications will only be accepted through ERAS.
2022-23 Interview Dates
Interview days for the 2022-23 recruitment season will take place on Monday and Wednesdays from late October through December.
Social With Residents – Sunday Evening During Interview Season
6:00-7:00 pm: Meet current residents for a casual social on Zoom
All times are Central Time Zone
Interview Day Schedule
All times are Central Time Zone
8:00 am: Meet with the program coordinator
8:15 am: Group discussion with program director
9:30-11:30 am: Faculty interview, meet and greet with residents, and/or personal meeting with the program director or an associate program director
11:30 am: Group meeting with Department of Medicine chair or vice chair for education
12:00pm-1:00pm: Morning report led by chief residents
1:00-3:30 pm: Faculty interview and/or personal meeting with a program director or associate program director
Job and Education Opportunities for Partners
Job Opportunities (for significant others)
- Alliant Energy Careers
- American Family Insurance Careers
- City of Madison Employment
- Covance Career Opportunities
- CUNA Mutual Careers
- Epic Careers
- Federal Government Official Job Site
- GE Careers
- Great Lakes Careers
- Madison Area Technical College (MATC) Jobs
- Madison Gas and Electric Jobs
- Madison School District Employment Opportunities
- Mattel - Careers
- Middleton School District
- Promega Corporation Career Opportunities
- Spectrum Brands - Careers
- SSM Health Careers
- State of Wisconsin Employment Opportunities
- Sun Prairie Area School Distrtict
- TDS Metrocom Career Center
- Thermo Fisher Corporation
- UW Health Careers
- UW-Madison Office of Human Resources
- Verona Area School District
Educational Opportunities (for significant others)