Leave, Insurance and Compensation
As employees of UW Health, University of Wisconsin Department of Medicine residents and fellows in ACGME–accredited programs receive the compensation and benefits outlined in UW Health's total rewards and employee services package.
- Competitive stipends that increase each year
- Three weeks of paid vacation per year—21 days including weekends or 15 days not including weekends—as well as up to seven paid sick days, five away-conference days, and negotiable leave time for job interviews, jury duty, bereavement or military leave
- Up to six weeks of paid parental leave—exclusive of vacation or sick leave—following the introduction of a new child or children by birth, adoption, foster care or legal guardianship
- Comprehensive health and dental insurance (2022-23 plan here)
If you have additional questions about benefits, we are happy to discuss those during the interview process.
Health and Wellness
The primary wellness resource available to residents and fellows is the program Life Matters, which provides face-to-face and/or telephone counseling. Additional local resources include trained peer support and the UW Health Wellness app.
Residents and fellows are permitted to attend personal wellness appointments during standard work hours without penalty or use of vacation time.
How Life Matters Can Help
- Stress, depression and personal problems: up to 10 sessions (per presenting concern) with a master’s level mental health counselor for learners; up to three for spouses.
- Balancing work and personal needs
- Family and relationship problems
- Alcohol or drug dependency
- Workplace conflicts
- Any other issue of concern in your life
Life Matters also provides services regarding financial consultation, legal consultation, child and elder care resources and guidance, and others.
For Partners and Families
- Job Opportunities
- Alliant Energy Careers
- American Family Insurance Careers
- City of Madison Employment
- Covance Career Opportunities
- Epic Careers
- Federal Government Official Job Site
- GE Careers
- Madison Area Technical College (MATC) Jobs
- Madison Gas and Electric Jobs
- Madison School District Employment Opportunities
- Mattel - Careers
- Middleton School District
- Spectrum Brands - Careers
- SSM Health Careers
- State of Wisconsin Employment Opportunities
- Sun Prairie Area School Distrtict
- TDS Metrocom Career Center
- Thermo Fisher Corporation
- UW Health Careers
- UW-Madison Office of Human Resources
- TruStage Careers
- Verona Area School District
- Educational Opportunities
- Child Care and Schooling
Note: the organizations listed are not affiliated with the University of Wisconsin or UW Health
- Wisconsin Department of Children and Families
- Community Coordinated Child Care (4–C)
- Supporting Families Together