Advancing Discovery. Creating a Healthier Future for All.
Innovation and impact are hallmarks of the research environment at the University of Wisconsin Department of Medicine.
Our researchers have a robust internal infrastructure and partnerships with the UW School of Medicine and Public Health and the world-class UW-Madison. Through joint appointments and collegial relationships, they are part of a vibrant community of inquiry.
Research at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health
Partner with Campus and Beyond to Make a Difference
The UW-Madison Campus
Ranked among the top 10 universities in the nation for volume of research, UW–Madison is home to a myriad of innovative, multidisciplinary research centers and institutes. Investigators have access to all the research resources on campus to succeed in their endeavors.
Partners in Clinical Research
Opportunities for real-world clinical research abound at clinics and hospitals at UW Health, our partner health system. The UW Clinical Trials Institute provides support for researchers and participants.
The Wisconsin Idea
We have an overarching commitment to the Wisconsin Idea: that our work should positively impact peoples’ lives beyond campus. To fulfill this obligation, we forge connections with institutions, health systems and policy makers across Wisconsin and the nation.
- Research universities like Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, University of Michigan
- Funding organizations like the National Institutes of Health, the American Heart Association and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- State agencies like the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, UW Health, and the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services
Internal Support for Research Development
No matter where you are in your career, the Department of Medicine provides concrete support to help you launch and maintain a successful research program.
Expert staff in our Office of Research Services provides hands-on guidance and training throughout the life cycle of a research project.
Department Resources For All Career Levels
- Residents and pre- and postdoctoral learners: We're home to a Physician-Scientist Training Program (PSTP) and T32 research training grants.
- Early-career researchers: We offer robust internal mentorship programs, early-career–focused grant trainings and help navigating campus resources.
- Established investigators: We provide resources for professional development and to promote research endeavors. Hone leadership and teamwork skills through research collaborations, and contribute to a deep culture of mentorship at all career levels.
Find out more about our Office of Research Services on the Department of Medicine intranet.