Innovation and impact are hallmarks of the research environment at the University of Wisconsin Department of Medicine.
Our researchers have a robust internal research infrastructure and partnerships with the world-class UW-Madison at their fingertips. Together, we advance discoveries to create a healthier future for all.
Partner with Campus and Beyond to Make a Difference
Through formal joint appointments or collegial interdisciplinary relationships, our researchers are part of a vibrant community of inquiry at our school, campus and beyond.
- The University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. Research at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health spans the continuum of bench to bedside to public health.
Its departments, centers and institutes include the National Institutes of Health-funded Institute for Clinical and Translational Research and the Wisconsin Partnership Program, which invests in research and community initiatives to improve the health of Wisconsin.
Learn more about the School's core facilities and services for researchers.
- The UW-Madison Campus. Ranked among the top 10 universities in the nation for volume of research, UW–Madison is home to a myriad of innovative, multidisciplinary research centers and institutes. Investigators have access to all the research resources on campus to succeed in their endeavors.
- Partners in Clinical Research. Opportunities for real-world clinical research abound at clinics and hospitals at UW Health, our partner health system. The UW-Madison Office of Clinical Trials and the UW Clinical Research Office provide support for researchers and participants.
The Wisconsin Idea. We have an overarching commitment to the Wisconsin Idea: that our work should positively impact peoples’ lives beyond campus. To fulfill this obligation, we forge connections with institutions, health systems and policy makers across Wisconsin and the nation.
- Research universities like Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, University of Michigan
- Funding organizations like the National Institutes of Health, the American Heart Association and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- State agencies like the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, UW Health, and the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services
Internal Support for Research Development
No matter where you are in your career, the Department of Medicine provides concrete support to help you launch and maintain a successful research program.
- Expert staff in our Office of Research Services provides hands-on guidance and training throughout the life cycle of a research project.
- We're home to a Physician-Scientist Training Program (PSTP) and several research training grants for residents and pre- and postdoctoral learners.
- Early-career researchers can utilize our robust internal mentorship programs, early-career–focused grant trainings and assistance in navigating resources offered by the department, School and university.
- Established investigators have access to department resources for professional development and to promote research endeavors. You'll hone leadership and teamwork skills through research collaborations, and contribute to a deep culture of mentorship at all career levels.