All University of Wisconsin internal medicine residents participate in a scholarly project during training, ranging from reviews of clinical topics to clinical or basic science research.
Residents have access to all the resources of the University of Wisconsin–Madison, which is consistently ranked in the top 10 national research rankings for public and private universities.
In addition, the UW School of Medicine and Public Health ranks in the top 25 U.S. medical schools for National Institutes of Health funding. The Department of Medicine is also consistently ranked among the top departments of internal medicine in the nation for NIH funding, and all 11 of our subspecialty divisions are robustly engaged in research activities.
Research Opportunities for Residents
Here are some of the ways we support resident research.
- We provide up to 12 weeks in the PG-2 and PG-3 year to pursue research/scholarship.
- Our associate program director for research meets with all interns and is regularly available to discuss projects and connect residents to mentors and projects throughout the department and campus.
- We provide individualized training in evidence-based practice skills and presentations.
- We cover expenses for residents presenting research at regional or national meetings.
- The program and department provide (free of charge) support with IRB submissions and statistical analysis for any resident research project.
- Major Centers and Institutes
- Discipline-Specific Centers
- UW Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR)
- UW Health StudyFinder
- UW-Madison Office of Clinical Trials
- Department of Neuroscience
- Laine Neuroimaging Laboratory
- Waisman Laboratory for Brain Imaging and Behavior
Healthcare Systems Engineering
- Center for Quality and Productivity Improvement (CQPI)
- Wisconsin Institute for Healthcare Systems Engineering (WIHSE)
Public Health, Population Health and Health Disparities:
- Center for Urban Population Health
- Center for Women’s Health Research
- Global Health Institute
- Institute for Research on Poverty
- Population Health Institute
- Population Health Sciences
- Wisconsin Area Health Education Center
- Wisconsin Office of Rural Health
- Graduate Research Training Programs
- Biomedical Engineering
- Cardiovascular Training Program
- Clinical and Health Services Research
- Education Leadership and Policy Analysis
- Fundamentals of Clinical Research (Capstone Certificate)
- Health Services and Care Research Program
- Osteoporosis Clinical Research Program
- Population Health
- Public Health