Global Health Pathway
The Global Heath Pathway (GHP) provides Internal Medicine residents and fellows with in-depth opportunities to understand and experience the practice of global health. The curriculum allows trainees to engage at both the local and global level through educational offerings, clinical care, and faculty-mentored research projects and provides mentorship for exploring global health careers This is a sister pathway to the Health Equity Pathway. The Global Health Pathway curriculum emphasizes health equity, ethics, and systems on the global scale, tropical medicine, and the Sustainable Development Goals. The Global Health Pathway partners with academic institutions throughout Ethiopia.
Opportunities within the Global Health Pathway
- Monthly meetings in lecture or journal club format led by GHP faculty and trainees
- WiscSIM: Simulation-based training program in global health specific to internal medicine that is designed to prepare trainees to deliver healthcare in resource-limited settings
- Fundamentals in Global Health Course, 1 week of multi-disciplinary training
- Annual UW Global Health Symposium
- Conduct research project in global health under mentorship of UW faculty with institutional partners in Ethiopia (eg., Jimma University)
- Present research at the UW Global Health Symposium, the UW Department of Medicine Research Day, and/or national conference
- For more information on current and completed research projects, visit our Global Health Research tab below.
Examples of Trainee Research Projects:
- Barriers and Facilitators to Surgical Site Infection Prevention in Jimma, Ethiopia
- Improved Hand Hygiene in Jimma and Mekelle, Ethiopia
- Pilot Colorectal Cancer Screening Program in Ethiopia
- Participate in a 1-month elective rotation abroad during the final year of the training at Jimma University Specialized Hospital in Jimma, Ethiopia
How do our Trainees Describe the GHP?
"Wonderful program that added perspective to my medical education and I hope will lead to future GH involvement."
"One of the best experiences in all of residency."
How do I participate?
The Global Heath Pathway (GHP) can accept 2-3 residents per year based on the availability of global health elective slots at the UW. For an application or for more details, contact the Program Coordinator. The monthly global health meetings and curriculum are open to all residents and fellows, regardless of pathway participation.
Current residents can watch a presentation by a current GHP trainee describing the program here (requires UW log-in).
Program Director, Global Health Pathway
Director of Health Equity Pathway