The Global Heath Pathway provides internal medicine residents and fellows with in-depth opportunities to understand and experience the practice of global health. You'll engage at both the local and global level through educational offerings, clinical care, faculty-mentored research projects and mentorship on global health career exploration.
A sister pathway to the Health Equity Pathway, the Global Health Pathway curriculum emphasizes health equity, ethics, and systems on the global scale; tropical medicine; and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Monthly meetings in lecture or journal club format led by GHP faculty and trainees
- WiscSIM: Simulation-based training program in global health specific to internal medicine designed to prepare trainees to deliver healthcare in resource-limited settings
- Fundamentals in Global Health Course (one week of multidisciplinary training)
- Annual UW Global Health Symposium
- Conduct research project in global health under mentorship of UW faculty with institutional partners.
- Present research at the UW Global Health Symposium, the UW Department of Medicine Research Day, and/or national conferences.
- Participate in a one-month elective rotation abroad during the final year of the training.
More Ways to Engage on Campus
What Trainees Say About the Global Health Pathway
"Wonderful program that added perspective to my medical education and I hope will lead to future GH involvement."
"One of the best experiences in all of residency."
Program Director and Founder
Dr. Siraj founded the Global Health Pathway to fill an unmet need in residency and fellowship training and to give trainees the knowledge and experience they need to embark upon careers in global health.
Visit the Global Health Faculty page to learn more about global health activities by Dr. Siraj and our other faculty.
How to Participate
The Global Heath Pathway can accept two to three residents per year based on the availability of global health elective slots at the UW.
Monthly global health meetings and curriculum are open to all residents and fellows, regardless of pathway participation. Current residents can also watch a presentation by a current Global Health Pathway trainee describing the program here (requires UW login).
For an application or more details, contact the program coordinator.