- Northwestern University Medical School - MD
- Northwestern University Medical School - Residency in Internal Medicine
- Cook County Hospital - Chief Residency
- Stanford University - Stanford Faculty Development Program, a one-month intensive training program in educational theory and clinical teaching skills
- American Board of Internal Medicine - "Evaluation of of Clinical Competence: Assessment and Evaluation Skills for Core and General Faculty," a one-week faculty development course in evaluation skills
- UW Health - UW Health Physician Leadership Development Program
Dr. Smith is a core faculty member in the Internal Medicine residency program and a member of the Department of Medicine Education Committee. Honors recognizing his teaching include the 2014 Excellence in Teaching Award, the 2011 Graham-Meyer Teaching Award for excellence in educating in the ambulatory setting, the 2011 Ambulatory Teaching Award, and the 2010 Bedside Teaching Award. Dr. Smith is a member of the Society of General Internal Medicine (SGIM) and is a fellow of the American College of Physicians. He is a mentor in the SGIM TEACH Certificate Program and has served as clinic mentor for internal medicine residents and co-facilitator for residents seeking to hone their teaching skills in the Teaching Pathway program. Dr. Smith serves on the SGIM Education Committee and founded and coordinates the SGIM Faculty Development Interest Group. He is a reviewer for the Wisconsin Journal of Medicine. He co-chairs the "Hot Topics in Internal Medicine" Continuing Medical Education conference.
Dr. Smith's medical interests include internal medicine and communication in health care systems.
Dr. Smith's research interests include faculty development and graduate medical education.