UW Health recently recognized physicians and advanced practice providers (APPs) who have demonstrated exceptional performance in clinical practice, education or regional services and displayed a commitment to the UW Health mission, vision and values. A number of physicians and APPs from the Department of Medicine were nominated, with two award winners.
UW Health Physician Excellence Leadership Award
Ann Sheehy, MD, MS, associate professor, Hospital Medicine, pictured in banner, was the recipient of this year's UW Health Physician Excellence Leadership Award. Dr. Sheehy is known as a wonderful example of a servant leader who puts the well-being and interest of her patients, colleagues and learners first. The Division of Hospital Medicine has seen a fourfold expansion over her 10 years as chief. Her dedication and energy for her work has resulted in numerous awards, such as the Society of Hospital Medicine National Award for Outstanding Service. In the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, Dr. Sheehy led Hospital Medicine surge plan efforts, in close collaboration with the critical care team and Hospital Incident Command. She is described as "a leader who others are delighted to follow and eager to work with because of her competence and excellence wrapped in humility."
UW Health Rising Star Clinical Educator Award
As a highly respected lecturer and leader in sarcoma research, Amanda Parkes, MD, assistant professor, Hematology, Medical Oncology and Palliative Care, received this year's UW Health Rising Star Clinical Educator Award. Dr. Parkes brings enthusiasm and mastery to any course she teaches. She is also a lecturer for the first-year Human Family Tree course at the School of Medicine and Public Health, and course director for the fourth-year elective in medical oncology clinics, with both courses having outstanding feedback. Dr. Parkes also created a program for trainees in oncology to get structured mentorship in research, with the hopes of encouraging more young investigators to pursue careers in research and clinical care.
UW Health Physician Excellence Nominees
- Sarah Ahrens, MD, clinical associate professor, Hospital Medicine
- Andrew Braun, MD, MHS, assistant professor, Allergy, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Micah Chan, MD, MPH, professor, Nephrology
- Alexis Eastman, MD, clinical assistant professor, Geriatrics and Gerontology
- Maxfield Flynn, MD, PhD, assistant professor, Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Lisa Jones, MD, MPH, MMCI, assistant professor, Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Anne O'Connor, MD, associate professor, Cardiovascular Medicine
- Kathryn Schueller, MD, clinical assistant professor, Hematology, Medical Oncology and Palliative Care
- Daniel Shirley, MD, MS, assistant professor, Infectious Disease
- Tripti Singh, MD, assistant professor, Nephrology
- Thomas Teelin, MD, clinical associate professor, Cardiovascular Medicine
UW Health APP Excellence Award Nominees
- Stephanie Lovell, NP, Hematology, Medical Oncology and Palliative Care
- Meghann Martin, NP, Infectious Disease
- Brenda Muth, NP, Nephrology
- Amy Proebstle, NP, Hospital Medicine
- Michael Richardson, PA, Infectious Disease
- Jennifer Turk, NP, Nephrology
- Caitlin Weitzel, NP, Hospital Medicine
- Jenna Wilke, NP, Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Banner photo, Ann Sheehy, MD, MS, associate professor, Hospital Medicine. Photo: Clint Thayer/Department of Medicine.