The field of Hospital Medicine is a developing best practice of hospital-based medicine with the following core responsibilities:
- A primary focus in the general medical care of hospitalized patients.
- Readily available to respond to urgent needs of the patients.
- Communication in real time with patients, families, nurses, sub-specialties and patient's primary care physicians which reduces potential for miscommunication.
- Medical co-management with surgical subspecialists to provide the most optimal care of medically complicated patients needing surgical procedures.
Our program is based on the core value of teamwork and has three primary principles that support our mission:
- Excellent care of each patient
- Effective teaching of residents, students, and fellows about the competencies of hospital medicine
- Quality initiatives and Health Services Research to advance and ensure care that is safe, effective, timely, efficient and equitable