- Universita’ di Genova, Genova, Italy - MD
- Presbyterian Medical Center of the University of Pennsylvania - Internship in Internal Medicine
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Residency in Internal Medicine
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital - Fellowship in Cardiovascular Diseases
- Massachusetts General Hospital - Fellowship in Interventional Cardiology
Dr. Giorgio Gimelli is a faculty member in the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine within the Department of Medicine. Prior to joining UW-Madison, Dr. Gimelli served as Interventional Cardiologist at San Raffaele Hospital in Milan, Italy. He specializes in complex coronary, structural and valvular heart interventions. Dr. Gimelli serves as Medical Director of the Interventional Cardiology Section and of the UW Health Adult Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory. He also serves as Medical Director of the UW Health Transcatheter Valve Replacement Program. He is a fellow of the American College of Cardiology, a fellow of the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, and a fellow of the Society for Vascular Medicine and Biology. Dr. Gimelli has been selected for the Best Doctors in America List multiple times. He has served on the Leadership Council of the American College of Cardiology Peripheral Vascular Disease Section. Dr. Gimelli provides clinical and classroom instruction to medical students, residents, and cardiology fellows.
Dr. Gimelli’s clinical interests include interventional cardiology and encompass numerous procedures including Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (TAVI, also known as Transcatheter Aortic Heart Valve Replacement or TAVR), valvuloplasty procedures, angioplasty procedures, and diagnostic cardiac catheterization.
Dr. Gimelli’s clinical research focuses on cardiovascular clinical trials for catheter-delivered therapies in structural and valvular heart disease.