- University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin – MD
- Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon – Internal Medicine Internship
- University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, Wisconsin – Residency in Internal Medicine
- William S. Middleton Veterans Memorial Hospital, Madison, Wisconsin – Chief Resident in Quality and Safety
- University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado – Fellowship in Rheumatology
Dr. McKown is a faculty member in the Division of Rheumatology within the Department of Medicine. He is a member of the American College of Rheumatology and the American Medical Association. As the chief resident in Quality and Safety at the William S. Middleton Veterans Memorial Hospital and Clinics, Dr. McKown focused on learning and teaching about patient safety and quality improvement. As a rheumatology fellow, he was a member of the Association of Rheumatology Professionals and served on the eLearning Committee.
Dr. McKown’s clinical interests include myositis and interstitial lung disease.
Dr. McKown’s research interests include the effects of smoking on cumulative damage in systemic lupus erythematous.