Physician and Mid-levels (NP, PA)
- Professional Expense Policy | Professional Expense Donation Form (PDF)
- Professional Expense Examples
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Department of Medicine provides an annual professional expense allowance to Department UWMF physicians and mid-levels. This allowance is determined by the Department Executive Committee.
|Amount & Term:||
|Balance of allotment:|
Examples of allowable professional expenses.
Any item that meets IRS guidelines for business expenses. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Memberships and dues of medical organizations
- Medical books
- Subscriptions for medical journals and publications
- Medical licenses not necessary for Department of Medicine clinical activities
- Registration for medical conferences
- Travel, lodging, meals, business phone calls at medical conferences
- Lab coats and monogramming
- Medical software
- Medical cassettes, CDs, videotapes and slides
- Board certification expenses
- Office supplies
- Computers, printers, peripherals, etc must be purchased through Department of Medicine Helpdesk (property must be donated to UW upon departure from department, or end of useful life of equipment)
Examples of expenses that are not allowable
Any item that is primarily for personal nonprofessional use and not allowable under IRS guidelines for business expenses. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Personal life and disability insurance policy premiums
- Contributions to an office 'sunshine fund'
- Memberships in non-medical associations or organizations
- Subscriptions to non-medical journals and publications
- Cell phones, smart phones, and smart watches
- Personal use software
- Personalizing of any electronics or other purchased items
- Spouse or family member's travel costs
- Pay-for-view movies in hotel/motel room
- Parking tickets and other fines
Examples of expenses considered division expenses - not professional allotment expense
- Medical licenses for Department of Medicine clinical activity
- DEA licenses for Department of Medicine clinical activity
- Medical staff dues for secondary or outreach hospital appointments
- Mileage to outreach sites
- Can I exceed my $2,000 limit?
- What do I have to include with a direct payment request?
- Can I include a contribution to the organization along with my membership payment?
- I have a very close deadline for a dues payment. What is the best way for me to pay it?
- I paid a subscription by check. Can I get reimbursed?
- Can I get reimbursed for my UW or Meriter parking fee?
- Can I get reimbursed for taking others to lunch at a conference?
- I have some professional expense items from last year; can I still submit them for reimbursement?
Q. What do I have to include with a direct payment request?
A. The original invoice, mailing envelope and all other forms that must accompany the payment should be submitted. All forms must be fully completed with the amount to be paid clearly indicated.
Q. Can I include a contribution to the organization along with my membership payment?
A. Optional nondeductible contributions included on membership invoices will not be paid by the UWMF. Include a personal check with the invoice if you wish to support such contributions. We will mail your check along with the membership payment.
Q. I have a very close deadline for a dues payment. What is the best way for me to pay it?
A. Write a personal check for the invoice. Send your check and all paperwork to your division contact. They will forward it to Mickie Dickrell. We will make the necessary copies and process a reimbursement payment to you. We will then mail your personal check to the vendor. By doing this you will not have to submit a copy of the invoice and cancelled check for reimbursement.
Q. I paid a subscription by check. Can I get reimbursed?
A. The preferred way to pay subscriptions is to submit the original invoice and let the Department pay it. However, you can get reimbursed for items you pay with personal checks. Please submit a copy of the invoice along with either your cancelled check or copy of your credit card statement.
Q. Can I get reimbursed for my UW or Meriter parking fee?
A. Not if the fee is for parking at your primary assigned workplace. The same goes for costs of commuting to your primary assigned workplace. This would be a Division or Department expense, not an individual professional expense item.
Q. Can I get reimbursed for taking others to lunch at a conference?
A. Yes, if the purpose is primarily for business reasons (such as recruiting). If you plan a major activity, such as a hospitality room, you must get this approved in advance by your Division Head and Department Chair. If approved in advance, this event would be a Division or Department expense, not an individual professional expense item.
Q. I have some professional expense items from last year; can I still submit them for reimbursement?
A. Yes, as long as they are within 90 days of the expense. Effective 7/1/17, expenses older than 90 days will not be reimbursed. These expenses will be deducted from the current year allowance.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact Mickie Dickrell, (608) 265-2120, firstname.lastname@example.org.