University of Wisconsin
School of Medicine and Public Health

Frequently Asked Questions

UWMF-specific questions:

Q. Who do I go to with questions?
A. First decide if the question pertains to UW Department of Medicine, UW Foundation, or UW Medical Foundation.  If you're not sure, use our general question page.

UW Dept. of Medicine and UW Foundation Lisa Bindl, (608) 263-2524
UW Medical Foundation Mickie Dickrell, (608) 265-2120

Q. Who do I contact with W-2 questions?


UW Dept. of Medicine Gina Hutzler, (608) 263-9078
UW Medical Foundation UWMF Payroll (608) 821-4170

Note: If you need a duplicate of your University of Wisconsin W-2, log into My UW. You can print duplicate tax statements by viewing the Tax Statements tab in the Payroll Information module on the Work Record tab.

Return to Top

Q. How do we pay for Board Examinations/Board Prep courses?
A. UW SMPH policy does not permit the payment or reimbursement of any Board-related expenses using UW funds.* This includes payments made via Pcard or e-Reimbursement. There are no exceptions and any payments made in error MUST BE REVERSED OR REIMBURSED IMMEDIATELY.

*Board-related expenses are payable/reimbursable by UWMF in certain specific cases.

Return to Top

Q. What do I do with a check for clinical activity?


Type of Payment Send to:
Check for patient charges UWMF - Patient Business Services
7974 UW Health Court
Middleton, WI 53562
(Campus interdepartmental mail is: 414-BUS)
Check for medical/legal services Department of Medicine
Attn: Mickie Dickrell
310 N. Midvale Blvd., Suite 302
Madison, WI 53705
(Campus interdepartmental mail is: #914 - SUITE 304 )

Return to Top

Q. How do medical staff dues to other hospitals get processed?

A. The answer depends on whether you are assigned to do business for the Department of Medicine or for UW Health:

Business Unit Payment Process
Department of Medicine The dues should be processed as a division operating expense. Give the notice to your division administrator for processing. Be sure to sign the form if it requires your signature.
UW Health Send the notice to Sandy Ruef (608) 265-5560 or Roseanne Hepner (608) 890-9962:
301 S Westfield Rd, Suite 320
Madison, WI 53717
(Campus interdepartmental mail is: 9620 UHC CORP - SUITE 320.)

Return to Top


Q. How do I renew my DEA license?

A. The DEA grants fee exemptions to employees of the University of Wisconsin-Madison. This includes physicians who have a dual appointment with UW Medical Foundation. This is because UW-Madison employed physicians and other practitioners are State of Wisconsin employees for purposes of their clinical, teaching and research activities. Individuals who are 100% employees of UW Medical Foundation (e.g., UWMF NPs and PAs) are NOT fee exempt.

For further information, please visit the Office of Legal Affairs website, or speak with the attorney on call at 263-7400.


Return to Top