The Department of Medicine (DOM) Software Development and Informatics (SDI) group works with researchers to help identify, design, and deliver a wide range of technological solutions to help drive innovations and advancements in biomedical research.
We provide robust, sustainable and well-supported services to meet research needs, doing so through close collaboration with the Office of Research Services, Helpdesk Services, and SMPH’s IT Research Services group teams.
- Design and development of custom informatics solutions for individual labs. (Recent examples of work include LIMS system and research participant registry for the Wisconsin Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center.)
- Database development
- REDCap services: REDCap is a secure, web-based application for building and managing online data collection instruments. Within the Department of Medicine, REDCap is most commonly used for research studies, quality improvement, and operational support projects. REDCap was developed by a multi-institutional consortium initiated at Vanderbilt University and is designed to be a secure solution for research.
- Delivering both de-identified data and patient-specific data from the UW Health Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) through our partnership with ICTR's Clinical Research Data Service (CRDS).
- Research data consultation: advice and assistance on how to extract, transform and annotate data effectively for downstream integration, analysis and visualization
- Help with writing informatics portion of grant applications
- Training on the use of our tools and systems