The goal of a supervising teacher is to coach a learner through the steps needed to have a permanent change in behavior.
Steps to effective feedback
- Observe behaviors and divide into positive feedback and areas for growth
- Use the Four box model to provide this feedback:
+ Continue this Do more of this - Do this differently Do less of this
Your “this” should be very specific:
Focus on demonstrated actions and behaviors rather than on the person
Focus on descriptions instead of judgment
- Provide next steps as specific directions and tasks for growth, instead of generalities
- Identify the specific outcomes you would like to see as a result of the tasks
- Tell the learner why this is important
The following overview video primarily discusses use of COACH Program methodology for medical students; however, the same strategies are appropriate for other learners, including postgraduate medical trainees.